Recommendations for the MA Health Care Quality and Cost Council’s Three-Year Reporting Plan
MHQP was selected by the Massachusetts Health Care Quality and Cost Council to create a three-year plan for publicly reporting quality and cost measures on the Council’s consumer-facing website (no longer active).
Areas investigated for the reporting plan included:
- Care settings
- Clinical conditions
- Quality measures, including measures of process, outcome, and structure as well as patient safety and patients’ experience of care
- Cost, volume and utilization measures
- Reporting frequency for each measure type
- Benchmarks for each measure type that would allow for valid comparisons among entities
- Reporting thresholds for each measure type that would ensure sufficient providers were included
MHQP partnered with Milliman, Inc. on this project.
This was the first attempt by the state to bring together a variety of constituencies to agree upon quality and cost measures. This work was a precursor to work done by the state’s Quality Measurement Alignment Task Force, which was required by state legislation, and the public reporting of cost and quality data by state agencies.