Recommendations for the MA Health Care Quality and Cost Council’s Three-Year Reporting Plan
(2009 - 2011)
What We Did:
MHQP was selected by the Massachusetts Health Care Quality and Cost Council to create a three-year plan for publicly reporting quality and cost measures on the Council’s consumer-facing website (no longer active).
Areas investigated for the reporting plan included:
- Care settings
- Clinical conditions
- Quality measures, including measures of process, outcome, and structure as well as patient safety and patients’ experience of care
- Cost, volume and utilization measures
- Reporting frequency for each measure type
- Benchmarks for each measure type that would allow for valid comparisons among entities
- Reporting thresholds for each measure type that would ensure sufficient providers were included
Who Was Involved:
MHQP partnered with Milliman, Inc. on this project.
Why This Work Matters:
This was the first attempt by the state to bring together a variety of constituencies to agree upon quality and cost measures. This work was a precursor to work done by the state’s Quality Measurement Alignment Task Force, which was required by state legislation, and the public reporting of cost and quality data by state agencies.